If it’s the last week in July, that means it’s moving time for thousands of Texas college students. Moving is never fun or without hassles, but here are a few tips to help minimize the negatives, so you can enjoy the positives of your move.
1. Do your homework. If you’re trying to decide whether to do it yourself or hire a professional moving company, carefully research the costs. After you add the basic cost of renting a truck or trailer, plus insurance, plus gas, plus other fees, you very likely will find that hiring a professional moving company, like Austin’s Elephant Moving & Storage, is only slightly more expensive. And, the additional cost may be offset by fewer hassles and more time to spend with family and friends. You owe it to yourself to at least get the facts.
2. Make a Plan. Make two lists: To-Do, and To-Bring.
3. To-Do is your list of tasks in preparation for the big day; stuff like confirm move-in date/time with the building manager; coordinate schedule with roommate(s); schedule movers or truck/trailer rental; find out the moving day requirements of the apartment building or dorm; schedule utility hook-ups, if necessary.
4. To-Bring is the packing list and inventory of your things. Categorize them according to Critical/Valuables, Necessary/Important, Desirable, and Borderline. Do this list as a draft then review it and eliminate as much as possible. Remember: you’re not leaving civilization, so don’t pack like you are.
5. Start packing. Now, like the supermarket check-out, the question is paper or plastic. Or, more precisely, cardboard boxes or plastic bins. It mainly comes down to personal preference, but if you can’t tell what’s inside just by looking at the container, be sure to color-code them and/or label the containers. Just make sure that the Critical/Valuable items, including documents, medications, electronic devices, etc. stay with you and do not get packed or loaded with other stuff.
6. Storage – For various reasons, students often need storage. Self-storage facilities often fill up quickly, but fortunately for you, Elephant Moving & Storage can accommodate your needs in its large, climate-controlled warehouse.
We offer long-term and short-term storage options in Austin. Our storage warehouse is a great place to stash your things for the summer or a semester abroad. Our crews of experienced professional movers will pick up your things when you need them out and deliver them to wherever you need them, whenever you need them – same room as last year, one a few blocks away, your mom’s house in Houston or a new place in Nashville once you get that post-graduation first job.
Our most popular service for students is pick-up, short-term storage for a few days or weeks, and delivery once you move back in time for fall classes. Our skilled Texas movers wrap all furniture in quilted blankets and prepare a detailed inventory of the items they take.
Once everything is loaded up, you’re done. No need to bother with a trip to a self-storage, no locks, no keys to lose. Our crews will unload shipments into our storage warehouse and package each shipment separately on pallets with shrink-wrap. Accidentally packed your favorite shoes? No problem. You can access your storage items anytime you need. Simply let our office know when you want to come by and our warehouse moving staff will make sure your items are accessible so that you can find what you need.
Everything stored in our secure warehouse facility is always insured at our basic level of $.60 per pound. If you need additional insurance you can insure up to full replacement value for one item, multiple items, or even the whole shipment. Elephant Moving & Storage is licensed, bonded and insured. Our crews of well-trained movers will make your summer storage stint a breeze!
Need a quote? Get your moving and storage estimate now!
Place an order for moving boxes and packing materials now!
Place an order for earth friendly packing crate rental!