Before You Move…
One of the most important steps before you move is getting a moving estimate from your home or office mover. In order for the estimator to provide you with the most accurate quote possible you will need to provide him with the best information you can. You should have complete knowledge of your new neighborhood, apartment/house/office, and the route to your destination (including construction). With local moves, time is everything.
You can sometimes save time if you can recommend a quicker route to your destination than the one your mover was expecting to take. Other helpful tidbits that your Austin mover needs to know in order to give you an accurate moving estimate:
Check your new area for the availability of suitable parking for the moving truck
One that will allow the movers to comfortably load and unload your items.…
ONE MONTH BEFORE YOUR MOVE…
Before your move, remember these helpful tips!
- Clean out storage spaces & discard unwanted items
- Make inventory of items to be moved
- Use up refrigerated/frozen items
- Notify post office, subscriptions, and correspondents of address change. This includes: Charge Accounts/Credit Cards, Friends/Relatives, Medical Offices
- Verify with veterinarian any travel accommodations for pets
- Register children for school and transfer school records
- Purchase packing materials
- Begin packing household items that you do not use on a regular basis
TWO WEEKS BEFORE YOUR MOVE…
- Contact utility companies to schedule disconnect and reconnect of these services: Electricity, Gas, Telephone, Water/Sewer, Cable
- Contact Newspaper carrier
- Call to confirm moving date with your moving company
ONE WEEK BEFORE YOUR MOVE…
- Drain fluids from lawn equipment
- Prepare a box with essential items necessary for your first day in your new house, including: Bedroom
- Linens, Toiletries, Medications, Telephone Book
- Purchase any additional packing materials necessary
- Continue packing – Pack all items not used on a daily basis
THE DAY BEFORE…
- Pack valuables (we recommend you take your valuables in your own vehicle)
- Be sure fragile items are appropriately packed and labeled
- Be sure all loose items are packed and secure
- Confirm all utility connections
- Clean the house to the best of your ability
FOLLOWING THE MOVE…
- Test all smoke detectors and find fire extinguishers
- Make a new list of emergency contacts
- Register new address with the department of transportation, obtain an update for license and registration
We Protect Your Furniture Better Than The Others
We do everything we can to protect your furniture when you move. When your Austin movers arrive to load up your furniture the first thing they will do is disassemble anything that needs it and then wrap all pieces of furniture in heavy duty quilted moving blankets.
Every item requires a unique method of wrapping. The blankets are always secured with tape, never just draped over the furniture. Large, bulky pieces, such as couches, armoires, china cabinets, etc, are wrapped in 2 or more pads to ensure the entire surface is covered.…
Useful Tips For Packing and Loading
Depending upon your agreement with your Austin mover, you may be doing some of the preparation for the move. Either way, we are here to offer some help when it comes to packing and loading.
If you are doing your own packing, be careful about overloading your moving boxes. Be sure to use appropriate boxes so your goods will arrive safely. Box tops should be flat and taped securely for easy handling and safe stacking in the truck.
Never pack liquids with other items – be sure to label the boxes as liquids to ensure proper handling.…
Please take advantage of our moving tips and moving advice for before and after you move. Print this page and carry it with you before and several days after the move. Moving tips that may seem obvious can be easily overlooked. Take our moving advice and utilize this checklist before and after you have moved.
Make a note of your shipment registration number and keep it with you in case you need to call your mover with questions about your shipment.
Get the Bed Ready
Designate one drawer of a dresser for sheets and towels so that you won’t have to rummage through boxes for these essentials the first night in your new home.…
Friendly Austin Movers
If you are moving to or from the Austin area and have decided to rent a truck or trailer and move yourself, let the pros help you load and unload. The loading process is especially important – an improperly loaded truck will result in damaged items. Let your friendly Austin movers assist you with this important task.
Elephant Moving’s professional crews can help you wrap, stack and secure your load
Why hire a moving company to load your truck instead of U Haul or day labor? Our trained professional movers know the best way to stack your items to ensure they arrive safely.…
Commercial Office Move – How To Get Ready
When preparing for your Austin office move you should be sure to pack and label everything carefully to ensure all items and boxes end up in the right places (and in one piece!) on move day.
- Packing is one of the most important steps of your move, so follow this list to ensure that your belongings are secure, safe, and ready to be transported to the new office space by moving day
- Be sure boxes are packed carefully. Do not fill large boxes with files or books â€“ use smaller boxes for these heavy items.
Simplify Commercial Moving and Get Back To Work Fast
Moving your office can be stressful. So many things to do before the big day! And so many things that can go wrong! Let Elephant Moving help ease you through your office transition with our tips and tricks for a smooth commercial move.
Now that the actual move date is getting closer, you should shift your focus toward physical preparation for the move. This includes:
- finalizing a design scheme for a new office
- assigning quarters in new office
- getting rid of your accumulated junk
- sending change of address forms to vendors and suppliers
- updating your website to reflect address change
- insuring and equipping your new office space
- arranging Internet and telecommunications service for your new space
- updating financial records
- ordering new checks
- ordering new business cards
1 week prior to move:
If you have followed your checklist, you should have little more to do besides pack.…
Boxes, Boxes, Boxes…
Finally, we’ve got more moving box tips! Double walled dish packs or china boxes are great for anything fragile. Use layers of crushed packing paper to cushion your china, dishes, glasses, mugs, small framed pictures, breakable knick knacks, delicate lamps/lampshades and other fragile items. Be sure to wrap everything in 2-3 pieces of paper before placing items on the crushed paper cushioning. Fill the box this way, laying down a layer of crushed paper between layers of your breakables, and fill up unused space with more crushed packing paper.
Never lay pictures or plates flat in the box, always be sure they are standing on their edge to avoid breakage!…